How will individual units determine which expenditures to reduce?
The University developed criteria to guide actions to reduce expenditures.
- Hold any vacant positions open for as long as possible.
- WSU spends 85% of its budget on personnel costs, so delaying hiring of vacant positions is one of the best ways to build reserves.
- Reduce or defer travel and other operating expenses that are non-essential.
- Discontinue services that are not fully meeting constituent needs.
- Consolidate services and units to reduce duplication and cost and to gain efficiencies.
- Do not award salary increases that are outside of those granted by the University through planned salary increase programs.
In addition, President Schulz has directed that senior administrators shall forgo the 1% salary increase that was awarded to faculty and staff this year and next fiscal year.