Lindsey Gass

Community Service

• College of Education
  • Kinesiology
  • WSU Pullman
  • Costa Mesa, California

Involvement

Research assistant at the Exercise Physiology and Performance Lab; dean’s list; Sigma Kappa sorority; project leader at the Center for Civic Engagement and organized chalk-art Sundays and virtual tours of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History tours during the pandemic for local senior citizens; visited with local seniors and played games with memory-care patients; managed Pen Friends, coordinating letter pick-up and drop-off between 11 classrooms at five local elementary schools, with more than 170 elementary school students matched with WSU students; one of two project leaders to work directly with the nonprofit Inland Oasis, which supports the local LGBTQ+ community and its West Side Food Pantry; helped coordinate the organization’s new community center and food pantry; volunteer at the Palouse Discovery Science Center and Regional Theatre of the Palouse; logged over 120 community service hours on the volunteer platform GivePulse

Favorite WSU experience

One would be the virtual tours. That was one of the best and most rewarding experiences for me, especially through the pandemic. It helped not only the seniors but me as well. It was really nice to be able to connect with the seniors because I hadn’t been able to see them for a while. Being able to see them again and let them know we still care about them even though we couldn’t be there in person was important to me, and I learned so much from it. I just really loved that experience. Another would be just the amazing friend group I have at WSU. I can’t wait to stay in touch with them for the rest of my life.

Future plans

I’m going to move back home to California, study for the GRE, take the GRE, and apply for physical therapy programs. I eventually want to work as a physical therapist in marginalized communities and senior facilities.