Annie Lu

Academics

• College of Arts and Sciences
  • Applied Mathematics
  • WSU Pullman
  • Aurora, Colorado

Involvement

Recipient of Fulbright Research award for Budapest Semesters in Mathematics; research intern at Technical University Berlin; National Science Foundation-funded research assistant at WSU; Knebelman Outstanding Senior Award from the Department of Mathematics and Statistics; College of Arts and Sciences Outstanding Senior in Mathematics; recipient of the WSU National Merit full-tuition scholarship; WSU Carson Undergraduate Research Fellowship recipient; grader for Math 464 Linear Optimization and Math 315 Differential Equations; teaching assistant for Calculus I; WSU Flute Choir and Wind Symphony

Favorite WSU experience

I don’t know if I can pick just one memory. All the friends I’ve made, they’ve really made everything worth it. I’ve been working on a research project with Dr. Nikos Voulgarakis at WSU on stochastic processes for two years, and we’re about to publish a paper. I also have a paper coming out from an internship I did over the summer. The internship was supposed to be in Berlin, but because of COVID-19, everything got pushed virtually. But those projects are what I’ve poured everything into these last few years.

Future plans

I’ve always really liked math, and I was trying to decide between art and math. Once I got involved in research, I ended up liking it a lot. I just accepted an offer to enter a PhD program in applied mathematics at the University of California, Los Angeles. I want to go into academia. I really like teaching. I’m also interested in finance, specifically quantitative data modeling.