Jocelyn Granados Mejia

Campus Involvement

• College of Arts and Sciences
  • Political Science, Psychology, Spanish
  • WSU Pullman
  • Prescott, Washington

Involvement

Student mentor in the Chicanx/Latinx Student Center; Immigrant Youth Fellow with the Washington Immigrant Solidarity Network; external chair, uncertified senator and all-campus senator in the Associated Students of Washington State University; facilitator with the 21st Century Camp Vista; staff and mentor with the Vista Hermosa Youth Group in Prescott, Washington; team leader, workshops director, and co-chair with Children of Aztlan Sharing Higher Education (CASHE); co-chair of Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanx de Aztlán (MECHA) and co-chair of Empowerment and Self-Determination committee; volunteer, team Leader, and team leader director of Visionaries Inspiring Black Empowered (V.I.B.E.S); vice president and standards officer of Kappa Delta Chi sorority; Emergency Relief Grant task force lead of Centro Latino; MECHA representative, rapid response coordinator, and co-chair of Crimson Group; Crimson Group representative to Home Is Here Campaign; representative at MECHA Nationals Conference; member of the Active Advocacy Coalition Conference

Favorite WSU experience

My ultimate favorite memory was the CASHE conference run by MECHA with 120 to 150 students. I came first when I was a senior in high school, then I was co-chair in charge of the conference during the COVID year. So coming from being the student, then being a volunteer, director, and then the main person in charge of it, I saw the full circle. One of my students at the conference is now a first-year WSU student and one of my mentees, with the same major as me. This conference really changed my trajectory at WSU and let me give back to my community in the sense of helping others through leadership roles.

That was my biggest fear coming into college: I’m not going know anyone, I’m not going to fit in. Meeting the students there, we’re less than 10 percent of the population but it didn’t feel like that because we all have a community and we all have each other’s backs.

Future plans

I am undocumented so I don’t have access to federal loans and things like that. I’m studying political science and psychology because I see a lack of diverse immigration lawyers. There’s been a lot of exploitation and lack of good information. By going into law, I can use that knowledge to better help my community. There are a few pathways to citizenship, but people don’t know those pathways. So I’m leaning toward law school. I’ll take a gap year to fundraise and focus on the LSAT so I can get scholarships.