Mikayla Beckley

Campus Involvement

• College of Veterinary Medicine
  • Genetics and Cell Biology
  • WSU Pullman
  • Arlington, Washington

Involvement

Vice president of the Disabled Students and Allies Club; founder of a DSAAC mentorship program for both undergraduate and graduate students; Access Center representative on WSU’s Transit Advisory Group; Access Center 2021 Student Leadership Award; secretary of WSU’s Shark Conservation Club; member of the Beta Tau Chapter of Delta Alpha Pi Honor Society; President’s Honor Roll; George S. Allen Scholarship; Crimson Transfer Award; COVID-19 contact tracer certified through Johns Hopkins University; Top Scholars mentor; student learning liaison for general microbiology; undergraduate research assistant in Michael Griswold’s lab; virtual wellness coordinator for Special Olympics; emergency department volunteer at Pullman Regional Hospital; front desk volunteer at Cascade Valley Hospital in Arlington; volunteer summer camp counselor at Camp Oasis; volunteer for Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America; and founder and host of the Disability Experience Podcast in collaboration with KUGR radio.

Favorite WSU experience

My favorite WSU experience has truly been a culmination of all the tiny moments and interactions within the Cougar community. When WSU announced that classes would remain online for the entire 2020-2021 academic year, I was overwhelmed with support. My professors made sure I had the resources I needed and were always available when I had a question or just wanted to check-in. The same goes for my classmates. Rather than isolating themselves, they created group chats, additional Zoom meetings, and discussion posts. The unwavering and unconditional support and guidance from the WSU community makes it hard to leave. I’m blessed to have called this place home. And, like (singer/songwriter) Andy Grammar says, I’ll “always find my way back home.”

Future plans

My primary professional goal is to utilize my passion for medicine and genetics to reduce health disparities among minority groups as a pediatric cardiologist. To achieve this goal, I plan on pursuing a combined MD/PhD program. I aim to reduce health inequities by identifying genetic variants that may contribute to poor health and to continually advocate for patient access to health care throughout my medical practice. Immediately following graduation from WSU, I will be taking a gap year, which I’m extremely excited about. I will work as a post-baccalaureate fellow in the Division of Cardiology at Seattle Children’s Hospital prior to attending medical school. Specifically, I submitted a grant to work with Dr. Portman as part of the Portman Research Group and Kawasaki Disease Program at Seattle Children’s Research Institute, which will allow me to grow as a clinical researcher.