Alicia Campos Macias

Campus Involvement

• Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture
  • Electrical Engineering
  • WSU Everett
  • Marysville, Washington

Involvement

Senator and secretary for ASWSU Everett; MESA (Math, Engineering, and Science Achievement) student ambassador; secretary for WSU Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers; Society of Women Engineers; worship leader, Sunday school teacher, and treasurer assistant at Iglesia Manantial De Agua Viva

Favorite WSU experience

“One of my favorite experiences during my years at WSU was going on an airplane for the first time,” said Campos Macias. She received a scholarship to attend the Society of Women Engineer’s annual conference and flew to Anaheim, California. As a DACA student, she had some fears about flying but was grateful for the support of her WSU community. “I had a fear of going on the airplane just because I didn’t know what was going to happen, so I was thankful they were able to assure me and that they were going to do what was best for me.” At the conference, she also had the opportunity to meet many fellow engineering students. “A lot of them were electrical engineering seniors, so I got to bond with them. They kind of guided me for the rest of my junior year. I made a lot of good friendships that continue to this day.”

Future plans

After graduation, Campos Macias is planning to continue the job search. She is open to opportunities in the field of electrical engineering, whether they are close to home or may take her someplace new. “I’m excited to graduate, especially because I’m a woman of color who is going into electrical engineering, a field that is mainly dominated by men,” she said. “In my graduating class, there’s about 30 of us. And there are only two females—and I’m one of them. I’m also going to be the first in my family to graduate. Just having that experience where my family, especially my parents, who have worked hard and helped me get to this point, to see them watch me graduate will fill me with pride.”