Shanelle Briggs

Shanelle Briggs
Shanelle Briggs

Academics

• College of Arts and Sciences
  • Pre-medicine, Spanish
  • Olympia, Washington

Involvement

Research for the WSU Department of Psychology, third author on a paper published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Adolescence, captain on the WSU Spirit Squad, ambassador for the WSU Office of Admissions, Cougar Health Awareness Team, volunteered in Guatemala (feeding families, constructing a school building, and working in a nutrition center and orphanage)

Favorite WSU experience

One of my favorite experiences was going with WSU faculty and students to Guatemala on the Hearts in Motion medical mission trip. My mom is a nurse so she volunteered with me for two years. I got to translate for healthcare professionals, observe rare surgeries, and volunteer in underserved villages. I had always wanted to be a physician, but helping people who had no access to medical care gave me a new perspective on my career goals.

The support that I’ve received from my professors, advisors, and cheer coach has been incredible and has allowed me to embrace many opportunities at WSU. I was on a psychology research team with Dr. Chris Barry, did research at the Pullman Regional Hospital, and helped with an iron study in Guatemala. I served as a student ambassador for the Office of Admissions and worked as a tutor for athletes. I also went abroad four times during my time here at WSU and wound up getting a second major in Spanish. Also, being a cheerleader and spending my Saturdays with 30,000 Coug fans was incredible.

Future plans

I will attend the University of Washington School of Medicine this fall and plan to do their Global Health Pathway so I can continue serving abroad. My goal is to eventually set up a medical practice in the United States and spend time every year bringing medical care to people in developing countries.