James Whitbread

James Whitbread
James Whitbread

Academics

• College of Arts and Sciences
  • Theoretical mathematics
  • Sociology, chemistry, molecular biosciences, biology
  • Colville, Washington

Involvement

President and founder of the National Alliance on Mental Illness at WSU, organized events at WSU to promote awareness of common mental health difficulties, assisted physicians and nurses and socialized with patients at Pullman Regional Hospital, Health and Wellness Services holistic wellness facilitator, recipient of the President’s Award for Leadership, Regents Scholarship

Favorite WSU experience

It’s incredibly difficult to nail down a single experience at WSU that was my favorite. This campus and this community is something unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. From the intense school spirit that united Martin Stadium as the Cougs won in double-overtime against Boise State this year, to the amazing camaraderie with my fellow students in the math department and the sciences, there is nothing quite like being a Coug. My favorite experience here was living in a close-knit community with many people that I met along the way. The people here make the WSU experience, and their friendship and working relationships are the things I am most grateful for coming from this university.

Future plans

I will attend Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine starting in August. My long-term goal is to become a cardio-thoracic surgeon at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. I hope to be a professor of surgery at Johns Hopkins so that I may continue teaching, which is something I care deeply about.