Alice Hiemstra

Alice Hiemstra
Alice Hiemstra

Visual and Performing Arts

• Honors College, College of Arts and Sciences
  • Music (oboe performance)
  • Zillah, Washington

Involvement

Served as principal oboist and secretary for the WSU Symphony Orchestra, co-president and co-founder of the WSU Double Reed Corps, performed with the WSU orchestra and Washington-Idaho Symphony Orchestra, featured soloist in many pieces and winner in local, regional, and statewide competitions, served as a mentor to Honors freshmen, won the WSU Concerto Competition, performed as a guest soloist with the WSU Symphony Orchestra as well as with the Spokane Symphony

Favorite WSU experience

One of the most fulfilling components of being at WSU was being a member of the WSU Honors College. It was thrilling to be in classes where the students and faculty were constantly engaged and as excited about learning as I am. My favorite experience was presenting and listening to research at the Western Regional Honors Conference in Riverside, California. It was a joy to be able to listen and learn about current research from across the Western United States.

Future plans

I will be attending Indiana University Bloomington for my master’s in music in oboe performance, and will eventually pursue a doctorate in music history. I plan on becoming an oboe and honors professor and play in a professional symphony orchestra.