Gloria Barker

Community Service

• College of Arts and Sciences
  • Majors: Anthropology, Social Sciences
  • Minor: Psychology
  • Genesee, ID

Involvement

Special Olympics volunteer, awarded for regular involvement in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s, awarded for long-term leadership in Girl and Boy Scouts, involved in the Community Clothing Exchange in Genesee for eight years, volunteer for campus conferences at WSU, works regularly with students in Student Financial Services and formerly in the office of pre-health advising

Favorite WSU experience

Every class was a gift: a new instructor and new knowledge to gain. I was always excited at the possibility of what would come next!

I made so many new friends of all ages and walks of life. The support of my current office made graduation attainable while also allowing me to have a life outside of work and school. The best gift I received was from former President Elson Floyd. He looked at me and said, “Sometimes we must change our situation to ensure our own success.” His encouragement gave me the opportunity to expand my view and find my own way to success.

Future plans

I will continue to assist students in finding their way to reach their goals. I feel all of us have a duty to turn around and lift the next person up.

On a personal level, I look forward to spending more time with my husband and my dogs. I will celebrate my graduation with a cruise with my daughters this summer from Vienna to Croatia, Montenegro, and the Greek Islands!