Create a welcoming and inclusive campus culture and climate in order to recruit and retain diverse faculty, staff, and students
- Commit to systemic, long-term change, with WSU faculty, staff, and student involvement in every effort and in every phase.
- Focus on critical areas where changes have been requested historically, such as policy review, training and development, organizational practices, available campus resources.
- Learn from national exemplars and incorporate contemporary methods.
- The University community will take the time to review and assess the current situation in order to make meaningful progress.
- Following completion of meetings and conversations with various students, faculty, and staff during the fall semester, it is clear some concerns go back decades.
Completed activities that lay the foundation for inclusive excellence
- Hired exceptional new WSU leaders who are also from diverse backgrounds.
- Held campus culture and climate forums with all 6 campuses.
- Completed external review of Multicultural Student Services and related support services.
- Established 5 working groups with 100+ faculty, staff, and students representing all campuses to address campus culture and climate issues.
- Assigned responsible administrators, senior leaders who will be accountable for ensuring implementation of working group outcomes.
Expected outcomes, 2018-2020
- Hiring of an Associate Vice President of Community, Equity, and Inclusive Excellence to lead system-wide efforts and coordinate events, programs, and activities for students, staff, and faculty.
- Critical progress on revising Executive Policy 15, implementing contemporary cultural competency training, expanding cultural and resource centers, hiring and retaining diverse faculty and staff, and advancing a gender inclusive framework.
Working group members
Mary Jo Gonzales
Division of Student Affairs
Human Resource Services
Diversity Center, Spokane
Equity & Diversity, Vancouver
Chancellor, WSU Tri-Cities
Carson College of Business
Division of Student Affairs, Community, Equity, and Inclusive Excellence
Chancellor, WSU Everett
Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture
University Marketing and Communications
College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences